Thursday, May 7, 2009

You must set your goal

“You must set your goal” heard a shrilling voice of one of my friend.” Setting your goal is very important, you should always know what you want to do five years down the line”. I gave a second thought and flipped his words into the past. Had I always knew that what I am doing right now, five years back. Am I lagging behind others because I haven’t set my goal yet? Why the hell I never gave a thought about it so far? It’s a complete surprise to me that I never set a goal. When he said “goal”, what did he mean by that? Did he mean social goals or family goals or your career goals? He might have mistaken in the plurality of word, he should have said “goals” instead of “goal”.

His words were echoing in my mind all the time .I was feeling like a looser, as I don’t have any goal or goals set. I seriously need a soul searching to find out my goal. Its not new, it always happens to me, when I have to take a decision on my own, this unset goal always bugs me. I always wait for couple of free days from work to sit idle and think about what should be my goal or goals. I get instant inspiration for becoming a leader by motivating speeches of our market tycoons, sometimes I think I should be an architect and I should solve all the problems across software industry or sometimes I think I should become a technocrat who knows each and everything about the technologies. Sometimes I want to be a part of a NGO and work for the society. But today’s newspaper ad reminded me that I wanted to become an entrepreneur at some point of time. Entrepreneurship, I like this word for too long but the best part of it from which I get inspired is “Be your own boss, let others work for you”. This is the only motivation for me to become an entrepreneur. Does this simply mean I am “non-cooperative” or I can’t follow others directing me? If every body gets same kind of motivation like me, I am afraid no business can survive on earth.

I am an amateur painter (I hate this word but I cant use the word “artist” as I don’t fit easily in it). When I start painting, there is a question always in my mind that whether it will look good or not, once I finish it. I keep on thinking on it and always feel a pressure about what if I failed, it will look ugly. People will say you are a big show off. Is an artist always supposed to make good paintings? You must be thinking that why this entire painting thing came in between the goals discussion .I just want to make an analogy between the two. In my painting scenario I set my goal and it doesn’t let me work high in my spirits .The performance issue keeps on bugging me.

I just want to make sure if there is something called goal exists or not. Had Alexandra the great always wanted to conquer the world, or it just happened by series of success he got. Had he set his goal? We said that he achieved his goal, what after achieving the goal, is it end of life that means we have no more goals.

Few days back somebody said, “By achieving your goals you will get what you always wanted”. Hell broke out on me, another thing I never thought of is what “I always wanted”. I think I never wanted a single thing, at the tender age I wanted a bicycle, then a scooter, then a bike and now a car and it will keep on changing.” Pleasure” must be the thing I always wanted but it seems its quiet radioactive, its keep on disintegrating with time and use.

Does “goal” mean “success” always? A funny thing about goal is if you don’t achieve it, it means you haven’t set your goal right. So it seems to me that people who achieve their goals are the only ones who had set their goals but the reverse is not true. Even if you set your goal there is no guarantee you will achieve it and people will say you haven’t set your goals correctly.

I know the above paragraph is quiet confusing and portrays “non sense”. But those are the real thoughts come in my mind when I think about setting my goal. You can see above that the problem and solution both are contradicting themselves.

One more term I recently heard was “short term goal and the Long term goal”. This is a smart invention, so if you feel like not achieving your prior set goal or your decision seems to be going in wrong direction, you should switch to short-term goal to change your final goal. But this term convinced me as bicycle was my short-term goal at the tender age but had I thought of car as a “long term goal” that time. So I can by the fact that we can have short-term goals but this long-term goal is still an open question to me.

I want to deep dived in my inner self and ask him what drives him to set a goal. Does goal mean a “desire”? When you see people adoring a leader or a businessman, you always want to become the same,” For what” I guess for same kind of adoring and appreciation you want. I want to become popular, people should follow my instincts, and they should talk about my good works and me all the time. So it feels like “desires” are directing us to set our goals. Money could be one of the factor but lot of people deny that they set their goals on the basis of money, it should be something related to self esteem.” Self esteem”, the word reminds me of the management lecture in my graduation that a man works for need first, then desire then self esteem. So we got three categories of goals then, what should fall under short term and long term and what lies beyond self-esteem is still a question.

Before my graduation “I always want to become an artist”. I entered college and got exposed to music, learned drum from a senior and practiced a lot then “I always want to become a drummer”. Eventually I started liking programming and it started fetching my interest so then “I always want to become a programmer”. You must be wondering why I am writing this “I always want to…” in quotes, because I want to show you that the answer of question “What is your goal” is based on the time when your are asking the question. If somebody had asked this question before my graduation I would have become an artist, but then what would happen to the drum and programming I enjoyed a lot as one of my passions. Does it simply mean that I have to live my life with a stupid decision of setting my goal as an artist and sacrifice other things, I could have enjoyed and make my goals too. This is the reason I always have doubt on the singularity of the word “goal”.

I think people who set their goals sacrifice a lot unknowingly other things they can do. I can be a programmer, drummer and an artist at the same time but my goals says I should be expert of any of them and showcase my dedication and expertise to the outside world. I have two options –I can enjoy all of them without setting a goal and end up like a normal person (Mr. Nobody) or master one of them and end up like a champ (Mr. Everybody). The later has a pain attached of leaving other two and million of things of my interest I would get to exposed in future.

Setting your goal is like practicing “Celibacy”. Why should I choose my life to be “virgin” on my own? What is pushing me to do that? I do not want to sacrifice all the things my destiny has planned for me .I got one life and don’t want to waste it with setting a stupid goal and chasing it all the time. I will keep on exposed to the material things and will use “short term goal” whenever I want. Today is a wonderful day, which prompted me to take lifetime decision (oops…not a goal) that I would never ever think of setting my goal or goals. Goals are for the losers who don’t want to see the better world they can actually see. Their paths are so narrow and gradually shrink with time .I want to see wide, wide open, all over the sky, experience everything I can do or I want to do. Doesn’t matter I would be a Mr. nobody, my inner self will be happy and appreciate me always. I am a “no goal” guy now and I am proud of me for not setting up a goal.

rajsingh.tarun@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment